Categories

Contact Us

Zhongneng Chengyu Power Co.,Ltd

Address: No.216 Changjiang Road, Huangdao Development District, Qingdao City, Shandong Province, China

E-mail: info@chengyupower.com

Tel: +86-532-86934246

Fax: +86-532-86934246

History of the lead acid battery

- Feb 23, 2018 -

History of the lead acid battery


The French scientist Gautherot observed in 1801 that wires that had been used for electrolysis experiments would themselves provide a small amount of "secondary" current after the main battery had been disconnected.[9] In 1859, Gaston Planté's lead–acid battery was the first battery that could be recharged by passing a reverse current through it. Planté's first model consisted of two lead sheets separated by rubber strips and rolled into a spiral.[10] His batteries were first used to power the lights in train carriages while stopped at a station. In 1881, Camille Alphonse Faure invented an improved version that consisted of a lead grid lattice, into which a lead oxide paste was pressed, forming a plate. This design was easier to mass-produce. An early manufacturer (from 1886) of lead–acid batteries was Henri Tudor.


Using a gel electrolyte instead of a liquid allows the battery to be used in different positions without leakage. Gel electrolyte batteries for any position date from the 1930s, and even in the late 1920s portable suitcase radio sets allowed the cell vertical or horizontal (but not inverted) due to valve design (see third Edition of Wireless Constructor's Encyclopaedia by Frederick James Camm). In the 1970s, the valve-regulated lead–acid battery (often called "sealed") was developed, including modern absorbed glass mat types, allowing operation in any position.


Previous: How to compare your solar storage options Next: AGM Durability & Reliability

Related Industry Knowledge

Related Products